The information needs of the scientific community at the Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration & Research is met by the Scientific and Technical Resource Centre (STRC) and the Library.
The Scientific and Technical Resource Centre (STRC) comprises of a comprehensive collection of books and journals pertaining to Earth Sciences and related topics with particular emphasis on the exploration and research for atomic minerals in India.
- to select, acquire, process, preserve, organise Indian and foreign publications on all aspects of exploration and research for atomic minerals.
- to provide various services such as Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI), and reprography.
- to arrange inter-library loan of books, journals and other documents.
- to provide information on selective topics from the resources in the Library, on request.
- to provide web-based information services.
- to provide information on availability of books and journals in the STRC, through On Line Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) on the LAN.
- to organise the sale of two journals published by the Directorate.
The Collection in the STRC comprises of books on Earth Sciences and its sub-divisions, such as Geology, Geophysics, Geochemistry,Applied Geology,Mining and Mineral Processing, besides publications on Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Technology, Analytical Chemistry,Electronics and Instrumentation and Computer Science. Latest publications on these subjects are acquired periodically by referring to publishers catalogues, book reviews in journals, and Publishers'Web sites.
The STRC has a total collection of over 22,000 volumes of books and bound journals. A number of books and other publications are also received on complimentary basis. It has a special collection of publications of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, the Geological Survey of India, and the Geological Society of India which are most important reference publications for the Scientists of the Division.
The journal subscriptions include some of the best international journals in Earth Sciences, and most of the Earth Science journals published in India. Thirty eight foreign and 39 Indian journals are subscribed annually. The Library also subscribes to Science Direct database from Elsevier and INIS Atomindex on CD-ROM. The Science Direct provides access to the contents pages and abstracts of papers published in 1200 foreign journals of Elsevier Science, Netherlands. Access is also provided to the full text of some of these journals.
The INIS Atomindex on CD-ROM is a bibliographical database covering all aspects of the peaceful uses of nuclear science and technology,with emphasis on engineering, energy, safety and life science.
Similar facilities exist in all regional centres.